Thursday, November 11, 2010

Welcome Old Man Winter

Well friends, the weather has made its change. It went from mid-70 highs to just above freezing with some snow thrown in for good measure. In combination with the weather, the daylight savings time change makes it cold and dark when I'm not at work. This is the inevitable change that signifies the end of most of my outdoor activities.

The change feels like a bigger bummer than normal, I was having a lot of fun riding outside and keeping the fitness up. On the bright side, it should make the upcoming cyclocross races more interesting. I enjoy racing when it's cooler out but below freezing is cold. Upper 30's low 40's is my goldilocks zone for cyclocross. Wet and mud are fine, even preferred but racing in the wet in the low 30's quickly becomes uncomfortable and not as exciting. Honestly, we only have a few races each year in these conditions so I really don't have the cold weather clothing I need.

Now I've been reduced to riding on the trainer which will be tricky this year. I have many excuses but since my sister is currently living in my basement/pain cave, 'scheduling' is a bit of an issue. My workouts also never seem to be as hard on the trainer compared to outdoors anyway. That's something I should work on.

My thoughts are starting to drift to the holidays and next seasons racing. I'm a little surprised and sad how quickly my motivation appears to be fading. Of coarse my fitness appears to be doing the same thing.

I wanted to share a short video of some "Wednesday Worlds" rides that take place during cyclocross season. This one is in Boulder but I've been having a lot of fun riding with a group in Denver. These are the kinds of things I'll miss now that it's dark when I'm not at work.

Wednesday Morning, Boulder from jamie kripke on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment