Friday, December 17, 2010

Post-Cyclocross Depression

I came across a blog post from an obviously better writer than myself that I wanted to share. In it, she has an excellent description of why people show up to race their bicycles week in and week out, in this case cyclocross.

While I've never tried to put into words the serenity you get from a 45 minute race of pain and suffering, in the mud and cold. I believe this post is an excellent start. It's the complete emptying of your mind to abosolute focus on the all out task at hand.

-"It’s not that I miss the mud or the bike washing or the post-race track hack. I don’t miss the cost of replacing equipment or the pre-race warmups or the 39-degrees-and-raining start lines."
-"It’s the vortex that I miss."

-"The 45 minutes of unrelenting focus. A tiny slice of time in which I am reduced to crude physiology – violent circulation of blood, desperate dissemination of oxygen to muscles, a brain attempting to override and nullify notifications about widespread pain and suffering. This isn’t happening. it says I don’t believe you. [Shutup, legs!]"

-"It’s not a suspension of reality or an escape – it’s an intensification of everything that is inside."

Have a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment