Monday, June 13, 2011

Winter Park Epic Singletrack Race #1, The Hill Climb

The 2011 mountain bike series kicked off with the Winter Park Hill Climb. I was a little uncertain it would happen with all the snow still on the ground in the high country. But this hill climb is on the service road that goes from the base of Winter back up to the top. They ploughed the road to get service vehicles up so we were in good shape. The road was in perfect condition, all the trails however were still under snow or water run off.

The weather was fantastic. Much warmer than I anticipated. I decided to ride the 29er this year because two years ago when I did the race it was on a CX bike. I felt over geared and needed another gear or two smaller. The climb is just over 2020 ft altitude gain in 5.2 miles. That works out to be an average of about 7% but there are a few flat places, a couple of sustained grades around 10% and two pitches over 15%. Therefore I went with the 29er because it had the gears and it's only about 7 pounds heavier.

There were about 26 racers in my category. I got a center front start. At the start a group of about 10 seemed to leap off the front. I settled in behind them hoping the group would stick around a little while. I was wrong, after about a minute the group started to shatter. I ended up riding around racers as they peeled out of the group. Three racers quickly shot up the road and I decided their pace was too hot for me. I was in fourth within the first 4 minutes of the race. I was truly surprised how quickly the race fell out.

Hill climbs, for me, are a lot like a time trial. Just get give it all you have to the top and tactics don't really come into play. About half way up a racer from my group caught me and we stayed within a few seconds all the way to the top. Right at the final 15% climb to the finish I herd another rider behind me. Knowing if I had a rider pass me at this point it wouldn't be good, I gave it all I had. I ended up finishing 5th. The 3 riders that got away early finished 4+ minutes ahead, the 4th place guy I was chasing finished about 13 seconds ahead and the guy behind me was only 9 seconds back.

Two years ago when I did this race I finished in 48:21. I was hoping I could get my time under 45 minutes. I ended up finishing in 44:00. Pretty good! On a side note I think I was abducted by aliens on the way down the mountain. My butt cheeks felt like someone drove nails into them. Poorly executed annal probe? Time to recover.

Check out the new blog header photo taken right at the top, heading up the final 15+% climb. I was way deep in the pain cave.

No comments:

Post a Comment