Saturday, November 28, 2009

And there was Grass!

With a new venue for today's race (Alpha Cross #2) I wasn't sure what to expect. To my surprise we had a beautiful grass coarse. It was fast and a lot of fun. Very well laid out, two sand pits and one double barrier with numerous short punchy climbs.

My team needed points. We're currently in 3rd place in the team points classification. There are two big teams ahead of us so moving up wasn't going to happen but there are about 5 teams within 20 points behind us. So loosing 3rd place is a real possibility. I put out the call to the team, to see if we can save this podium spot.

Four teammates showed up and the field wasn't huge. A good sign since only the top 20 get points. I took it a little easy at the start to see if I could ramp it up during the race. After the start, things got strung out pretty quickly. The grass and hills made closing gaps nearly impossible. My front wheel slipped out during the first run through the steep chicanes and had to run the remaining section, only loosing one place. Afterward, a group of about 6-8 racers formed. I caught the express until it started coming apart. Later I crashed in that same chicane and was caught by a two man chase group.

I finished 12th and had teammates in 13th and 18th! 20 points to add to the team total. In addition, the other teams behind us miss out on toady's race. So sad. Two more races in the series. Hopefully we can keep hold of this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment