Sunday, November 22, 2009

Back in the Action

How can something that hurts this bad feel so good.

After getting back home Friday evening I felt like it was time to get life back to normal. I took a pass on the Saturday race to spend time with the kids. The kids wanted to play and I need my dad fix. We accomplished that!

Sunday, it was time to get back out and hit the races. I knew it was going to be a sad state of affairs. After missing last weekend due to being sick and having a lot of work to finish, then spending a stressed out week in Dallas, it was going to hurt!! I hadn't been on the bike in over a week. It was calling me... the pain cave awaited!

The Green Mountain Sports Velo coarse in Golden was long, muddy and hard! I am still sitting pretty good in the 'Best Cyclocross Rider' points, due to my early season performance. So I got a good starting position. We took off through a snow covered field then onto the coarse. After having a second position call-up I was sitting in about 4-5 position on the first lap. Then the guy in second totally screwed up a remount after a short run up and stacked 3 guys behind him. I quickly ran around and boom, I was in second. The lead guy was taking off. It took the group behind me a little while to get moving and I had a surprisingly big gap. But it was hard going and I didn't last too long. I gave it all I had sadly there wasn't much. People were crashing all over the place. I managed to keep it up right and finish 15th. Melissa said she had never seen me race so empty. I hurt so bad at the end, a lot more then normal. Once I caught my breath it felt so good.

I don't have any photos of the race and I'm not sure I want to see how bad it was. There were a lot of photographers on the coarse so maybe I'll come across some online. If I do, I put them up for your entertainment. For now enjoy the clean up I had awaiting me after the race. The bike was still shifting well but it was a lot heavier.



Two more weeks of racing then it's time for a break. I feel a little burned out but its just so fun!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you're back in business now that the conference is over!

    ReplyDelete