Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Frisco Racing Weekend

This past weekend I spent it up racing in Frisco, CO. This is the third year I've done those races. I stayed up in the mountains making the weekend a total immersion in cyclocross racing. Actually being able to stay at the race instead of racing home to get other needed items completed. Now I'm just behind in all the things I needed to do.

Both races had great turn out. I was a little worried people would skip them since they weren't CO CX Cup points races. Even the fast guys were out to wrap up those final upgrade points before moving into their new categories for the rest of the season. I was hoping to snatch up a few points myself.

I had good results, finishing 9th in the first race despite being surprised at the start. We started on a fairly long hill, too long to sprint anyway. I figured the racers wouldn't kill it on the first run up the hill because they would be blown at the top. I was wrong, the start was way fast and I dropped back a number of places. But sure enough, I caught and passed most of the sprinters on the second trip up the hill.

Here's a video of the start at the top of the hill.

Frisco CX #1 - SM35+ Cat 4 Start from Dale Riley on Vimeo.



The second race I wasn't surprised by the start and I went hard. Mostly I didn't want to get hung up on the first lap in the tricky sections. I was in second and third most of the race. My legs however, were really tired and I started to fade. I had a group of three pass me and I just couldn't latch on. I finished a very respectable 7th.

Here is a video from a guy in my race with a camera on his handle bars. Gives you some idea of the coarse. You can see me up in front at some parts of the movie.


It looks like 4-5 of the guys that finished in front of me will be upgrading before next weekend. So, that should be a good thing in the coming races. We'll see! After thee straight weeks of doubling up races on the weekends, I'm starting to feel tired. We'll see if I can get a little recovery this week before doubling up again next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment