Tuesday, October 19, 2010

To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade?

Well, I stated it earlier this year, one of my goals this year was do have a good enough cyclocross season that I could upgrade. Unlike the road races, if I upgraded at cyclocross at least the race times remain the same so hopefully the training hours aren’t required to increase significantly.

Anyway, upgrade points are assigned on a scale based on your finishing position and the number of racers in the race. Best case for points awards is 1-6 (7, 5 ,4 ,3 ,2 ,1) get upgrade points only if 50 or more racers are present. If there are fewer racers then there are fewer points and fewer places get those points.

According to the American Cycling Association (ACA) the governing body for these races, to upgrade from a category 4 racer (beginner) at least 7 points are required in a 12 month period. If a racer acquires 20 points the ACA automatically upgrades them. What typically happens, at least in the SM4/35+ group, is the racers ride it out until the ACA sends them a letter to let them know it’s time. Who’s to blame them, (the rules are published) the next category up will be fast and you’ll be back of the pack. Sadly, I’ve seen a lot of racers get upgraded only to do a race or two then their gone. Why not enjoy wining now!

Now I find myself with a decision to make, do I ride it out or pull the trigger? I have a 5th place finish from last year that gave me 2 points (but those expire at the end of October). I got another 2 points for a 5th at the GMSV race. Picked up another 2 this past Saturday for the 5th at Interlocken. With the win (some people get upgraded without a win) at Cross at the river I only got 5 points (less than 50 racers). So, I’m up to 9 for this season and 11 if you count last year. Of coarse I should have another 5 points for a second at alpha cross but the mechanical on the last lap gave those away. So now I’m beginning to believe I could legitimacy be ready to race in a new category.

If I’d had the points before the Colorado CX Cup started I might have upgraded but now I can continue to win points (big points) for the team and upgrade when the letter comes from the ACA. So, I think I’ll get in a few more races with the 4’s then I’ll be back of the pack in a new category.

It’s not sandbagging if it’s allowed by the rules, right? Kind of feels like it is if I was on the flip side of the coin.

No comments:

Post a Comment