Monday, March 17, 2014

2013 Cannondale Flash 29er 1 High Mod Carbon - First Impressions


Back in March 2010 I got my first 29er, an aluminum Cannondale Flash 29er.  It wasn't the top end version by any means.  It's a super fun bike to ride.  I had a few issues with the bike but they were all resolved.  The fork had to be sent back to Cannondale once.  The Avid brakes sucked so I upgraded them.  The wheels that came with the bike were heavy so I got a pair of race wheels.  Overall, I enjoyed the bike a lot.  I certainly had no reservations about getting another Cannondale Flash 29er if the opportunity presented itself.

Well, an opportunity arose!   As 2013 bikes were being cleared out to make room for the new ones I came across a deal I couldn't pass up.  So, I struck while the iron was hot and snatched up a top of the line beauty.  The 2013 Cannondale Flash 29er 1 high modulus Rocket ship carbon hard tail bike!
I'm so over the black on black coloring so many manufacturers use.  I love the colors of this bike.  Red, White and Blue BABY!  It stands out and looks good.
Carbon XLR 90mm Lefty Fork.
Not sure I'm a fan of the Avid brakes but the lefty lockout is integrated on the break mount.  It keeps the cockpit nice and clean.
High modulus carbon
XTR derailleurs are awesome!  The Shadow plus technology doesn't stick out and is hidden away.  The genius of the entire bike is the extra clutch they put on the derailleur to prevent chain slap.  There is no chain slap!!  Coming down a bumpy descent is like riding a single speed...... almost!  The chain still raddles within the cassette but it is truly awesome for people that like having a quite bike.  Most importantly, it works!
  Reynolds carbon 29er wheels!  Reviews on these wheels seem to indicate the spokes like to untension.  I'll have to keep checking them out.  So far I like the ride quality.  When I converted them to tubeless the tires snapped into place giving confidence they were in tight.  They popped into place just like my Stan's ZTR crest rims I used on the old Flash.  Most importantly they come with 2 years of Reynolds Assurance Program (RAP), so I guess I'm covered.

After a few rides my first thoughts are that this bike is a rocket ship!  Super efficient and fun to ride.  I'm looking forward to more rides on this bike.  I'll post updates as the season goes along and I learn the true personality of the bike.  It's kind of fun having a bike that's so far above my ability level!

No comments:

Post a Comment