Monday, March 31, 2014

Frustrating Training Camp

Well, that was certainly a test and not for the reasons I anticipated at the beginning of the week.  Last weekend I put in 5 hours... all below or right around 40 degrees.  On Monday I was coughing but still felt great so I kept to my minimum 2 hours of riding per day.  By Wednesday I was still riding but my throat hurt bad enough I didn't want to talk on those rides.  By Thursday I was heading home early sick.  I was down and out Friday and Saturday.  This is the second time this spring I've been sick.  Initially I was pretty mad about it, but what good does that do.  So I tried to get some small things done around the house while resting.

Sunday I felt pretty good (no medication) so the plan was to get back out on the bike.  I was out on the new mountain bike only to crash on the first 5 feet of my first single track.  I clipped a pedal and went over the handle bars.  No real damage so I continued on my ride.  About 40 minutes later I put a hole in the middle of the rear tire that the Stan's couldn't seal.  I put in my spare tube only to find it had a hole in it as well (I later saw a spot were the tube had a hole rubbed in it).  So, I was doing the walk of shame back to the car.  Fortunately some cool fellow riders pitched in and gave me another tube and loaned me a pump so I could limp back to the car instead of walk.  Much appreciated!  Thanks.

On a side note, I seem to have one of these rides every year and someone always bails me out.  Since I believe in the 'circle of life', I'm always willing to help a fellow rider when I find them in a similar predicament.  I figure if I earn good karma, it will come back to me when I need it.

So, my training camp ended up 3 days short plus one day with a 'broke' ride.  No long ride and not the hours I wanted.  It's still early but I feel like I need to make some changes to get things back on track.  First things first, let's get over this stupid cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment