Monday, June 29, 2009

Oh my, that went bad!

This past Saturday was the second mountain bike race up in Winter Park, the cross country super loop. I was looking forward to this race, last year this was my first mountain bike race ever. I got second and was dreaming of a repeat performance (despite moving up a catagory).

After my week spent traveling and the stress of getting a big proposal out the door, I was hoping I would be nice and rested. Ready to go.

I wasn't. More than that, I wasn't even close.

Everything went wrong! I would guess that within a minute of the start I was going backwards. Dropped like a stone, a road block everyone wanted to get around. The biggest problem was my back. A few miles in it was hurting so bad, I just couldn't put any power in the peddles. Funny, my back actually started hurting at home before I left for the race. Injury or stress, I don't know.

The course was pretty muddy and slippery. Had to be careful out there. A lot of people went down. The rocks, tree roots and river crossings were treacherous! Despite the coarse, I was seriously deep in the pain cave and never got to enjoy any of it!

Sadly it was one of my worst days on a bike. Despite my utter meltdown, I have to look on the bright side, I didn't finish in last place. Honestly, I was supprised about that.

Time for some training changes. I am trying to stay optimistic. At least I am sure to improve at the next race.

No comments:

Post a Comment