Saturday, August 8, 2009

Relief

Finally some improvement on the fitness side of things! Its been a little stagnant lately.

Thursday I made it to the CSP mid week crit. This is the third time I've made my way to the Thursday race and the first time I've raced it. The weather has been weird. There was a pretty good showing. I wanted to see how I would compare to other riders in my category.

Well, I think things went well. There was a core group of fast riders and a bunch of others that were getting dropped left and right. That means, stay at the front so they don't gap you off. Mission accomplished. I even got out for a couple of sprints. Taking third, just piping a guy at the line. It was nice, felt good... for me! The finish was a little tricky. We were going up hill into the wind, meaning you don't want to be on the front first. I wasn't, I was also only someplace in the top 20 (needed to be further up). But I'll take it, I felt better an that's all that mattered.

Interesting side note, there was a woman's team out there killing it! I don't know how strong each of them was individually but they were riding like a team. When they went to the front, they laid it down. Working as a team, novel. Don't see that much in a cat 4 race. It was fun to watch and I caught the express a couple of times.

Another side note on this race. Those guys sucked in the corners! They liked to grab their breaks and were too sketchy. I much prefer the Tuesday night race, clean and fast in the corners!

Today I felt good enough to go for a TT up Lookout mountain, my testing ground. I road over from the house and hit it. After a killer winter park race last Saturday, a hard Crit on Thursday I was surprised I even felt like trying this but... I did. The improvement was obvious, I dropped my average HR one beat and raised my average wattage by 7 watts! Giving me the fastest non-race assent I've done!! The new training plan and diet appear to be helping. Finally and just in time!

No comments:

Post a Comment