Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Event Horizon

I'm standing on the cusp of the beginning of cyclocross season. This weekend will mark my entry into the fall racing season. My plan is to head down to the Colorado Springs race on Saturday. I've raced the Springs race a number of times, it was also the first race of the year last year. My plan, relax and be patient! In years past my first race has always ended up with some preventable issue. Last year I was too excited, shifted too late into an obstacle and dropped the chain on the first lap. Had to stop and fix it, causing me to loose a lot of places. Later in the year I found I was more successful when I was a little more 'patient', especially on that first lap.

This year I'd like to start out were I left of. Keep the patience and add flow. Conserve my momentum, minimize non-essential efforts, stay off the brakes and not fight the coarse. I've had high hopes for this season but as I've looked back through my training files and power readings, I'm not sure I'm any stronger than last year. I'm a little sad about that but hey, I had fun last year!

Tonight I'm off to fine tune some equipment choices for the coming races and make sure the bike is ready to go. Wish me luck, I'll see you at the races.

No comments:

Post a Comment