Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Ohh What Could Have Been: Sunday's Race Report

Sunday was Alpha CX #1. After Saturday's crashes and big efforts I wasn't sure what to expect. My arm, shoulder and hand was sore from landing on it after going over the bars and my left knee was pretty skinned up. I bandaged up the knee, pulled on the big girl panties and decided to go racing.

If Saturday's Boulder race was rough, Alpha cross was out of control. Half of it was smooth shallow sand and the other half was mind pounding grass clumps surrounded by sand. I really wish I had brought the mountain bike. This wasn't a course were you could just power your way around, if you did it would eat you up. It would require you to ride your ride, at your pace, under control and with some technical finesse.

The field was about half the size of Saturdays race and I got a call up (based on last years results), putting me in the front row. I had a good start and slotted in behind my friend Wes, who won the hole shot as well as Saturday's race. Things were quickly getting strung out on the upper soft sand. We dropped off the dirt onto a paved section and upon re-entering the dirt Wes had a terrible crash. Right at the transition from the pavement to dirt he spilled it out, body flying right and bike going left taking up the entire coarse. You could hear the tubular blowing out during the crash. Everyone was in full flight coming down a paved hill right behind him. Fortunately he wasn't hurt and quickly pulled himself and the bike out of the way. Thankfully everyone avoided stacking up and over him.

A racer pulled through and I took up second spot again. Once he started to fade I went by to head out on my own. I could feel Saturday's effort in the legs but now that I could pick my own lines, I went for it. After about a lap I was caught and passed, then about a half lap later I was caught again. I kept driving. The next group wasn't getting any closer and I had a good lead. At the bottom of the coarse there was a soft 180 turn around and during a couple passes through that section the front tire burped some air. The third and second to last lap the front tire was getting obviously low and more difficult to control. By now I was running the corners and difficult obstacles just to baby the front tire. I didn't think I had time to grab a pit wheel and it had held up for 2 laps, so I took the risk to hold on. With about 2/3 of a lap left the tire completely failed and when flat, I was just beyond the last pit. My gamble didn't pay off. So I picked up the bike to run, I was still going to finish. During the run in, my 3 year old son yelled from the jump castle as I ran by "Dad, what are you doing?" I just kept running.

I wasn't aware until the end but the lead rider had rolled his front tubular and quit the race with about two to go. So I was in second place on the final lap. My teammate Todd was racing well and was in the pack just behind me. He went on to take second place. I ran in to finish and ended up 25th even after running ~2/3 of a lap carrying the bike. 25th, that's how far ahead I was. In the end, the race had 51 starters and only 43 finishers.

Next time the old CX pit bike will be available. A quick, easy switch could have saved the day. The spare wheels I had just keep you from ending your day early. A CO2 inflator may have also helped but it would have take almost as long as a wheel change.

There's never a perfect CX race. Better luck next time. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment