Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Final Identification of "The One"

After narrowing my choices, I've continued to push forward and identify the correct bike for me. My number one choice, as described in previous posts, is the Ridley X-fire. The first two priorities have been met; 1. It's a good bike, received good reviews. Preferably by people I know. Race proven, not necessarily pro level (that can be sponsorship of really good legs) and 2. It looks good, it calls to me. Now to widdle down the final two priorities; 3. COST and 4. It has to fit.

Cost:
I will keep this short and simple. As I described in my previous post, the Ridley x-fire is undergoing some changes in the coming year (described here). First off, its US distributor is changing and second it will be going to a tapered head tube (1.125 top, 1.5 bottom). These changes are going to happen sometime around June 2009. The current distributor has permission to sell the bikes until June and the new distributor can't talk about it until June. So, that means if I want last years bike "2009," they are looking to get rid of them and I can get one for the price I want to pay. If I wait for the new bike in June "2010" there are some unknowns, 1. price (actually I've heard it wont be much higher than MSRP on the 2009) and 2. availability.


So, I am going to pull the trigger now. Get last years bike, "2009," while I know I still can for the price I want to pay. Later this year, during CX season, there might be newer bikes out there but I believe this bike will be more than good enough for me.



Fit (finding the right size):
The Ridley comes in 48, 50, 52, 54, 56 and 58 frame sizes. The bikes that I currently have are a 60cm Trek 5200 and 58cm Trek XO1, I have also had a Bianchi 58 road bike. Trek frames read big, they measure center BB to top of seat collar making the frame size bigger than it is. So, my initial guess is I need something like a 56 or 58. However the 2009 x-fire frames that are readily available are 50, 52 and 54. At first glance it looks like bad news. However, upon digging a little deeper, Ridley frame sizes are way big for the frame "number" just the opposite of Trek!


Wow, could it be. It looks like the 58cm Trek Xo1 I've been riding has a geometry that is close to the 54 X-fire. Seems like a big jump! So, I went to my LBS that had the bike and we mocked up the frame with my fit dimensions (saddle height, reach, offset etc.) Looks good. We even tried to determine approximately what a 56 X-fire would look like, it looked too big. The biggest change between what I have been riding and the new bike, besides moving from a warn out all aluminum frame and fork to sweet candy carbon is the wheel base. The X-fire will be shorter by 2cm, approximately 3/4 of and inch. I am no bike geometry expert, but I know a shorter wheel base makes the bike turn faster and if it helps me get around the hairpin turns like at the Colorado State Championship race last year, I'll be moving up the ranks.

So that's it, I'm lucky. All my priorities are met by this bike. Its a good bike (I haven't heard from anyone that doesn't like it, and those that have one reach out to me saying -it's worth it, go for it.) I love the way it looks, beckoning me to ride it. Cost is right and there is a frame size that will work.

Check back for posts on my purchase.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! I promise you won't be dissapointed. We've got guys riding both the 56 and 58 if you want to give it one last look from a fit perspective. Let me know. We also have contacts at the current distrubuter and since we bought 12 last year, I think they like us. Let me know if there's anything we can do to help. Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question for you guys, I'm exactly 6' and Im looking at this frame as well. will the 54cm work for me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I said it in the post but I am 6'1". After nearly a full season on the Ridley, it has been great for me. Take a look at what your riding now, make the frame measurements. I'm guessing your frame will be close. If so you should be good. Don't be afraid to talk with a good shop, they can go a long way to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! I've done my research and I ordered my 54 X-Fire this morning!

    Its gonna be very sweet!

    ReplyDelete