Saturday, April 18, 2009

Narrowing the Choices

I have a short list of CX bikes I've been looking at. This is how I'm going to start pursuing the purchase.

My priorities in selecting this list:
1. It's a good bike, received good reviews. Preferably by people I know. Race proven, not necessarily pro level (that can be sponsorship of really good legs)
2. It looks good, it needs to call to me.
3. COST
4. It has to fit.

1. Ridley X-fire

Pros: The company (They are a Belgium company that got their start making CX bikes. Not road or mountain bikes. They did so well at the CX bikes now they make everything), all carbon, raced and recommended to me by pro riders, beautiful bike (its calling to me!).
Cons: There is a change to the frame coming in 2010. They are going to a tapered head tube and changing US distributors in June. So, you can get deal on the 2009 but the 2010 will be "improved".

2. Bianchi D2 Carbon Cross

Pros: The Bianchi Axis CX bike has been around for a while and it has been popular. The carbon version is new and it looks great. Reviews have indicated the ride is good.
Cons: It is new, no deals. Weight is good but the wheels it comes with are not so good.

3. Giant TCX

Pros: Price could be right. Have a friend that says it's good. Carbon fork with aluminum frame. I think it would be ok if I couldn't find a lighter carbon bike in my price range. I like the way the bike looks.
Cons: Askium wheels (wow they're heavy), aluminum frame.

4. Felt F15X

Pros: Price could be right. Looks like a well spec'd bike.
Cons: Almost can't stand to look at it (paint job sucks). Cable routing and top tube aren't what I want.

Others:
Van Dessel Gin & Trombones: seems pricey but a lot of folks had them this last season. Bike looks great.
Yeti ARC X: I like that it's a Colorado company. Great looking bike, if it fits. Limited sizes. I don't think a compact frame would work well for CX. A lot of people use them but I'm skeptical, one of the other bikes may be better.
Cannondale: Great looking bike (paint job), cable routing and top tube make me think this is a bike to complete their sales catalog. Good components and BB30!
Orbea: Team sponsor. Not marketed in US but I could get one. I met a pro that raced one last season, he said "its nothing special, get the Ridley!"

No comments:

Post a Comment