Friday, April 17, 2009

Obsessed and Distracted

To the typical person I'm sure my obsessions seem... excessive and freakish. Even to people typically concerned with these kinds of things it may be over the top.

You may be wondering what is this dude worried about, what has caused his wife to say "Just hurry up and buy it, you haven't slept well in a week!" A new car? Major home improvement? More kids? New business? ...... Nope, more serious. The purchase of a new bike. Not just any bike, a cyclocross bike.

While much less expensive than any of the other choices above, it is a deeply personal decision. With a limited budget, I want to get it right. I have been working to get budget, justification (I mostly had that) and support for this purchase for years. I will be striving to maximize everything.

Yes I know that cyclocross season is months away but there are deals to be had. I can save nearly a 1/3 on last years bikes/frames. I know there will be changes coming out on 2010 bikes but you have to pull the trigger at some point and money saved is money saved. How much impact will the future changes have on next years bikes anyway. As long as there isn't a revolutionary new material or system, I should be good.

So, what bikes have I been looking at? What are my requirements? Well, lets start with what I currently have; an old all Aluminum frame and fork. The components are a splash of shimano, with all the major groups represented, 105 shifters, ultegra front derailleur and Dura-ace rear derailleur. What am I looking for; a lighter ride, some carbon to take out the harsh vibrations in a race, more responsive, faster around the tight corners and a good fit.

My choices are basically aluminum frames with carbon fork and maybe carbon seat stays OR a full carbon bike and fork. Full carbon may be a little more expensive but if a deal is found it might not be much more and it could be worth it. As for components, I will be making the leap. SRAM here I come. Probably rival, they're lighter than ultegra and just received an upgrade this year. Force if the price is right but I am not seeing much of a reason for that upgrade. Put that money into other areas, perhaps that carbon frame I described.

What are some frame intricacies I want. Top tube routed cables. Why? Mud in Colorado isn't such a problem but we do end up running most of our races in short sleeves; maybe the exact position of the cables is key but I have cut up my arm carrying the bike, forearm on the down tube with a metal cable smashed between my arm and the frame. Besides the cable routing, a flat area under the top tube for my shoulder. Why? I will have to run with the bike on my shoulder, why not get the comfort that is available. These little improvements on a CX bike show me which manufactures are paying attention to the racers. Comfort is important in a race that can be so uncomfortable.

What am I going to get? Keep checking for updates. I am pretty close to making my decision. Keep watching for photos.

2 comments:

  1. Just buy it already...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Full carbon with SRAM = yummy! Be careful, once you go to carbon, there's no going back. Just ask my ex Celeste.

    ReplyDelete