Wednesday, May 27, 2009

CSP Practice Crit

Yesterday evening I decided to make my way down to the CSP track for the mid-week practice crit. Since the race I was going to do this weekend, Koppenberg, was cancelled for the second time this spring. I wanted to get some racing miles in the legs. As the day went along, I thought we would get some rain but things stayed dry.

I drove over to the CSP track, got signed in and started on some warm-up laps. There was no sun but there also wasn't much wind. It was a pretty good turn out. This was classified as a 30+ race, meaning the only qualification to be there was you had to be over 30. Rough translation, there are pro's over 30. I new a couple of the riders, they had been moved up since I last raced them. Since I am only a cat 4 racer, this would be an opportunity to race with people in higher categories. My goal, ride in the group, don't get dropped, contribute when and if possible.

As I rolled to the start line I rubbed my tires to ensure they were ready. I had a giant thorn in my front tire. As soon as I hit it, the tire went flat. I rushed over to the car and swapped out the tube. Not quite fast enough, the race had started. So I strolled back to the start and told the promoter I was going to jump in, he said "enjoy". It was a bell lap/points lap... aka fast lap. Great way to start! Ouch.

The race was fast! The corners were so smooth in that group. Nice compact group, no noodling good lines... safe. As the race went on I was able to move around in the group. Get to the front, do some chasing, close some gaps. I didn't win or get any points, but that wasn't my goal.

What I did learn... I was pretty comfortable in the corners. Able to take them faster than some of the other racers. No one worked together. Same old strong man to the front while the others wait for them to get tired.

In the end, it was a 50 minute, strong workout and ... I had fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment