Monday, October 5, 2009

Frisco Cyclocross #1

This weekend was a cyclocross extravaganza! The last weekend of racing in the mountains, both days at Frisco. A great excuse to stay in the mountains and hang out with good friends. I brought the ladies (Kailee and Melissa) while Nate hung out with Grandma.

We were expecting cool temperatures, possible rain and snow. Instead we received a beautiful day, warm and sunny! The coarse was fantastic. Paved climb with a quick descent and some fun technical sections. The best part was I had 3 other teammates in my category. That doesn't happen very often. It's always fun to know you wont suffer alone.

I received a call up and was starting in the front row, nice when there are 60 racers. The whistle blew and we were away. A small group shot off the front and I was content to get in a chase group. After about a lap the lead group shattered and most of them starting coming back. There were a lot of mistakes and crashes out on the coarse. I kept my head in the game, focused on the next obstacle and road clean laps. A couple of laps in I felt good. Then they said "four to go" my mental clock said that seams like a lot. I kept pushing but soon felt the body start to fade. I lost about 5 places in those last four laps. Wish I could have held on but it didn't happen. I road the last lap glued to my teammates wheel. We finished 13th and 14th.

After the race I found out my teammate Josh crashed in the steep little meat grinder with a sharp right at the bottom. His hand was all swollen and his race on Sunday was in doubt. Noooo!

After the race all the families got together and Josh (despite his injured hand) made us a fantastic meal. The kids had a good time and the wives got to know each other. After we were all fat and happy it was off to rest up and repeat tomorrow. My goal for the entire afternoon was stay hydrated, keep moving so the legs don't lock up and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Great pics! Sounds like a great weekend, congrats buddy. Can't wait to see you guys in a few days

    ReplyDelete