Thursday, October 15, 2009

I Think I've Figured it Out

I make decisions/changes in such a strange way. I may not even know I'm working on making a decision, it just grinds away in the back of my head, running in the background. It makes life interesting, strange things seem to happen.. I'm forgetful, irritated, absent minded, under a cloud.. whatever you want to call it. I guess my bandwidth is all used up chewing on the decision I don't know I'm working on. Well I think I finally figured out what my brain has been working on, it's something I've been thinking about for awhile and needs closure before too long.

It's a should I stay or should I go kind of question. No, not with work. It's more serious because it's my only hobby, something I enjoy doing and do for free, the bike team. I have spent a lot of time trying to mold this group into what I think a race team should be. As a member of the Board of Directors I have grown our cyclocross team by x10+ times (still not that big). I have helped/suggested bringing in sponsors that I thought would benefit the racers. I've helped design clothing, plan and run training clinics, lead group rides, raced and generally helped improve the team anyway I thought appropriate. I've made a lot of friends on the team, I know what to expect and how to get things done. I've made a lot of contacts that could help with any issues.

But there have been many let downs. Racing alone, leading team rides that no one shows to for, a clinic that was embarrassingly under attended (including the board director for that discipline!), a clinic for a discipline that didn't happen because the organizers were afraid no one would show up (even though the majority of racers on the team race this discipline), this is a large team that has only a small number of actual racers (half the people that sign-up we never see again!), attendance is generally poor.

I guess it feels like I'm a member of a club that has some racers. A majority of the racers on this team are beginners because few race enough to get moved up. I feel like I want to be apart of a race team. Were members are a little more like minded.

So my options appear to be.
1. Stick with my current team. Don't give up, continue to move things forward and see if I can build a team. But I don't want to get stuck in the middle of the season frustrated and burned out wondering why the hell I did that.
2. Stick it out with my current team but don't be as concerned with the big picture. Work more with the people that I race with and build a smaller team within the big team consisting of the people I race with.
3. Find another team that is a little smaller (maybe) and more race oriented. There are a lot of unknowns with this option and another team is not necessarily a better team.

My plan:
Well, at least I know the question (that will help). Should I stay or should I go?

For now, I believe I will leave the question unanswered. There are some critical decisions and deadlines ahead. I think I'll see how those pan out before making my final decision.

If you have any suggestions, feel free to leave a comment or drop me an email.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blogs - just don't get to them as often as I would like. Glad you like the 4 runner! Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having faced the same decision; I think that being part of a team is more about finding others who love doing what you do, and express their passion in a similar way that you do. Finding a healthy balance of leading, following, and being challenged is ideal. If you feel the fit was right but has changed, it may be less about them and more about you - it could be that you have changed. It is okay to go find others like your 'now' self - you will be better for them and they for you. Just be clear about what it is you want and are able to give. And always keep the passion for the sport.

    ReplyDelete