Monday, October 5, 2009

Frisco Cyclocross #2

The Frisco Cyclocross extravaganza continued on Sunday. After a restless night in a condo up near Copper Mountain (I never sleep that well in a hotel) I awoke with legs that certainly felt the effort from Saturday. I hopped on the trainer for about 15 minutes turning the pedals very easily. Just wanted to get the blood flowing, flush out the legs and hope for the best. I have to admit, I felt better after the short ride.

We had a little family pancake breakfast and some morning cartoons before packing the car and heading to the race. Just before we left I got a text from Josh “Hand looks like a Belgian Waffle.” I was bummed and assumed he was out of the race for the day, I knew he wouldn’t be happy about it either.

I got ready to head out on the coarse for a warm-up and to check out the new route. Just before I left, Josh shows up all kitted out. He said, “I’m here, I can’t not race,” that’s one dedicated dude. After a couple of laps it was time to line up. Again I was called up and had a front row start. The whistle blew and we were away. After the performance in the lead group yesterday, I was happy to sit in a chase group. Unfortunately the lead group didn’t really come apart this time. Most of the chase group had raced the day before and didn’t have power to pull them back. After a few laps I fell out of the first chase group only to find there weren’t many people behind us, the race had really come apart. I was determined not to fade as badly as I did the day before.

In the end I had a clean race. No crashes and no big mistakes. I finished exactly the same position as I did the day before, 14th. Since my legs felt so much worse, I was happy. Josh came in 20th despite the injured hand.

I found out Monday morning that Josh had broken his hand in the fall on Saturday. He had raced a 45-minute race on Sunday with a broken pinky finger, in-the-hand bone! I know cross is hard but it must have been excruciating over that bumpy ground. That’s one tuff mofo. I think the cast is going to slow down the rest of his season. He’ll be missed.

Pics below. My wife did a great job.

No comments:

Post a Comment