Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Red Rock Velo CX #2

Sunday I was back at the races. The weatherman called for snow and cold temperatures but it ended up being a beautiful day! Sun and perfect temperatures for racing cyclocross. I woke up feeling pretty good and headed out to the venue early to get in a nice easy longer warm-up. The park is only a couple of miles from my work so I was really looking forward to this race. I wasn’t let down, the coarse was spectacular. Short power climbs, dirt, pavement, stairs, sand, grass, flat power drags and sweeping descents for a short recovery.

The team had another good turnout. We had five racers in a much larger field, compared to Saturday. Our goal, finish high enough to get more points for the team classification. I got a nice call up since I’m still in the mix with all the BCR points. The whistle blew and we were off. It was a short drag up the hill then onto some pretty bumpy stuff. The coarse ended up being very difficult to pass on. There were a lot of turns forcing the field to be stretched out quickly. I grabbed onto the first chase group and road defensively, trying to keep things strung out and difficult to pass. I wasn’t in a terrible position and no one racing from the teams just behind us in the point’s classification was ahead of me.

I was good for the first half of the race then, per the norm this year, I started to fade. A guy from a marked team passed me and I tried to give chase but it wasn’t in me. So my goal became limit the damage. I road the coarse cleanly but by the end of the race, when your pretty spent, things were getting sloppy.

In the end I finished right were I’ve been finishing all year, 14th. Sadly none of my other teammates made it into the points. We have one more race this coming Saturday, the State Championship. Between the two races this past weekend we really made a leap in the team points classification and are now about 20 points a head of the chasing team. We should be safe for 3rd place in the team competition as long as we get someone in the top 20 on Saturday and they don’t win or get more racers to score.

No comments:

Post a Comment