Thursday, December 10, 2009

Time to Reflect

The 2009 race season is over. Before diving into 2010, lets first talk about what just happened.

I got in somewhere around 4 road/crit races, 6 cross country mountain bike races and 13 cyclocross races. Totaling 23 races… not bad. On the Road my average placing was 28th out of and average of 74 racers, finishing in the top 37%. Mountain bike races I averaged 32nd place out of 42 racers, finishing in bottom 25% (I did upgrade to sport this year). In cyclocross races I averaged 12th place out of 59 racers finishing in the top 24%.

Road racing was not my focus this year and I used the races to build some fitness for the later races. That being said, results were not all that bad. I even raced in the 30+ open practice crits and had a lot of fun. They were fast and much safer. The cat 4 practice crits were a little scary.

Mountain biking was where I wanted to do better but I sucked. I haven’t raced many mountain bike races but it felt like there was one issue after another. I didn’t have the correct fitness, skills, equipment or anything else. People I was hoping to be competitive with killed me. It was sad and discouraging. I did manage to always finish and not come in DFL…. so there’s that.

During cyclocross I had my most consistent season ever. I occasionally surprised myself but I generally finished in the low teens. Even though people ahead of me were getting moved up, I never seemed to improve my finish. Every race appeared the same, started good or maybe a little too hard; then I faded at the end of the race. First few laps were good, and then it was damage control/survival mode.

As for season goals:
I did improve my Lookout HC time but only by a few seconds, missing my goal by about 20 seconds.
I didn’t get as many upgrade points as I wanted in cyclocross, but I did have two top 10 finishes.
I never did hit my desired race weight and by the end of the season I was going the wrong way.

mmmmmm…… looks like room for improvement. But were and what?

No comments:

Post a Comment