Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Hunt for the Hard Tail 29er

As I posted a few days ago, I sold my old squishy full suspension mountain. I bought this bike a few years back as an upgrade to an old hard tale I was riding (it was pretty worn out). The Santa Cruz Blur LT was always a little to ... squishy for me. I tried dialing in the suspension and I believe I got it right but it still was never perfect. When I road that bike XC style, I always felt like the harder I road the more I was fighting the bike and not the trail. I didn't have or it didn't give me the confidence to lay it all out on the descends and it was a fight going back up hill. To clarify, it would climb anything but it was like a 2 year old.... the more you hurry it a long, the harder everything was. In the end, it made me not want to mountain bike. That would simply not do!

A friend let me borrow his hard tail 29er at a race last year and it was phenomenal. Every hill that we had previously raced, felt shorter. Anything that was flat, the bike just rolled through. I didn't get too crazy on the descents because.... well... it wasn't my bike. After that experience, I put my Santa Cruz up for sale. I was going to make the switch. Time to re-find my love for mountain biking again.

Now I have to figure out what to get. I was thinking about building up a bike but by the time I get all the parts, it costs more than just getting a completed bike. So, I'm going the complete bike route even though I know it wont be everything I want. As for the frame material I'm just doing aluminum. Carbon is too costly and it's particularly costly if you crash or rub a rock or hit a tree. So now it's time to find something reasonably priced that maximizes my return on investment.

So what am I looking at, basically the high end aluminum 29er from the major manufactures.

The Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

The Gary Fisher Paragon

The Giant XTC 29er 1

and the Cannondale Flash 29er 1

As I begin to look over the build specs for each of the bikes, all of them look pretty good. As to the general aesthetics, I like them a lot. As for what is the right price to pay for those components, we'll see. First thing first, think I'll try and track down some of these bikes and ride them.

No comments:

Post a Comment