Monday, July 20, 2009

A New Perspective

This past Saturday I got new perspective on the local bike racing scene. I was a volunteer at the Mt Evans Hill Climb. Its been a couple of years since I raced this event but when I found out my race team was going to be promoting it, I jump at the opportunity to help out.
1. Because the team will benefit
2. Because it's a prestigious event that should be run well
and
3. Because I don't have to suffer up the hill!!! (mostly this should be number 1)

I got there early, helped wherever I could. Had a fun time, watched the pro's start and basically enjoyed myself. No stress. I was driving the follow vehicle for the SM35+/3 category. A group of about ~30 racers. People quickly started falling off the pace until a lead pack of 7 was established. This group stayed together until about tree line. I stayed behind the top 5.

There was a lot of suffering going on. The weather was great and people had fun, smiles all around once it was over.

As for me, it was great. I set my personal best for getting up that hill and I felt great the entire time!

Video of the starting pro field, Tom Danielson narrowly missed beating his existing record.

The citizens starting field was huge!

The lower slopes of the climb for my group
Seeing up the mountain can be demoralizing! See the road on the mountain a head? Yes you have to climb that too!
The top!

No comments:

Post a Comment